New Opportunity for a Product Buyer in Suffield, CT
The role of a Product Buyer is to support our products in production through managing supplier base and monitoring all operational supplier issues, in line with Group Purchasing / Category strategies, for a defined plant/plants and/or category areas.
- Identify saving opportunities such as resourcing cases and other saving activities
- Negotiate with suppliers to obtain best total cost
(considering inventory level, batch size, delivery terms, piece price etc.)
- Implement and secure future year savings for Kongsberg Automotive (KA). Deliver, agreed upon, savings commitments in line with budget, through negotiations and cost models
- KPI: Savings/PPV
Area of responsibility
- Manage direct material production supply base for defined plants/categories
- Manage supplier issue handling in accordance with internal procedures
- Consolidate plant/product area requirements and communicate within purchasing
- Create and propose part/category PPV budget and saving activities for assigned plant/category/business area/product area in cooperation with category buyer
- PPV and other KPI Reporting and follow up
- Manage suppliers and investigate potential suppliers for resourcing opportunities and lead or support implementation of Cost Reduction initiatives
- Participate in Lean and VAVE activities and be Purchasing’s member in PIP team
- Handle Purchasing administration in ERP, including managing/issuing PO’s
- Co-operate with Project Buyer in handover process
- Co-operate with and give feedback on cost, quality, delivery performance, capacity etc. to Project Buyer and Category Buyer for existing parts in NPI projects
- Strategic responsibility for local categories (DV/DX)
- Identify, propose and manage suppliers in accordance with operational requirements, purchasing policies and objectives and facilitate develop and manage supply base capable of meeting future demands
- Actively search and identify suppliers meeting functional BA local/product area needs and to support future growth demands of the Company
- Consolidate saving opportunities in order to meet budget target
- Resp. for implementing cost reductions in accordance with PPV budget
- Investigate new supplier base, benchmark current supply base to ensure best suppliers used, prepare K-brief proposals when opportunities found
- Lead yearly negotiations with suppliers for local commodities (DV/DX)
- Support implementation of strategic sourcing results :
- Support in supplier entry and in the supplier exit/ switch process
- Collect and consolidate data on contract compliance and supplier performance
- Manage Supplier Relationship Managements (SRM) activities :
- Prepare joint cost workshops and continuous improvement workshops
- Support category on re-sourcing, supplier disruption initiatives and strategy implementation
- Monitor factory needs and support when required, i.e. technical change, price increase, supplier quality issues etc.
- Communicate with category teams in case of important commercial changes (volume, price increases or other suppliers’ requests that make influence the KPI’s performance)
- Manage supply base price change requests and escalate and co-operate with Category organization when required
Business Unit/Segment support
- Owner of budget saving plan (PPV) for assigned product area/plant/category in defined BU/Segment
- Purchasing representative in PIP projects
- Participate in cross functional VAVE and lean activities and drive purchasing actions
- Delivery disruption handling, escalated from Transactional – in accordance with escalation procedures
- Order prototypes and tooling based on internal requisitions from R&D or plant (serial production)
- Negotiate with suppliers about optimal logistics parameters for keeping optimal cost level for running production, considering inventory level, batch size, delivery terms and piece price
- Negotiate supplier claims origination form LIP/QIP escalations and other
- Use the total cost of Ownership (TCO) concept as a foundation for decision making and applies best practice sourcing methodology
- Prepare/coordinate and distribute the plant annual purchasing budget and its updates for rolling forecasts
- Report monthly PPV and other KPI data for monthly reporting
- Manage internal customer relationship. Collect and follow up on internal customer feedback on services
- Generate non-PPV saving
- Managing capacity change request
- Handling extraordinary EOP from customers (business cancellation)
- PIP projects:
- Get feasibility confirmation
- Ensure prototypes if required
- Manage PPAP within the agreed timing
- Participate in customer audit on plant level
- Maintain VP and contract database for local suppliers
- Support handling of financially distressed supplier
- Maintain ERP systems with supplier information and assure records are up to date on supplier names, accounts, contacts etc.
- Handle Purchasing administration on ERP, issue and manage BPO’s, tooling PO’s and LTA’s on current business.
- Store all relevant information according to archive routine
Competence Profile (Ideal)
Negotiation Skills: Develops well-thought through and documented negotiation plans and targets. Involves internal customers in the planning and execution of the negotiation ensuring that they understand their role and contribution throughout the negotiation process. Results consistently deliver at the upper end of expectations.
Strategic Procurement: Experience of operating on strategic projects as part of cross-functional teams. Able to draw up business cases and project plans, able to manage risk. Understands Strategic sourcing and the ability to perform analysis of what an organization buys, from whom, at what price and at what volume. It involves understanding of the supply market, how many suppliers exist, is the market global, regional or local, how complex the supply market is, understanding of its typical cost structure & profitability, capacity usage etc.
Markets: Thorough experience and knowledge of specific markets, and commodities with the ability to exploit them through application of well developed procurement skills. Understanding of the supply market characteristics , its typical cost structure & profitability, capacity usage, number of suppliers, ownership structures etc. Understanding of the range of KA product/services in a specific area.
Tendering Processes: Familiar and comfortable with all aspects of procurement processes/tendering procedures. Able to provide advice on specifications, and to take the lead on procurement aspects as part of a cross-functional team. Experienced in negotiating high value contracts. Ability to analyse RFQ responses and calculate best alternatives for KA based on lot & volume allocation to the best suppliers. Scenarios to include e.g. “Cherry picking, best single source, best multiple source solutions with savings per scenario.
Supplier Contract Management: Able to monitor and manage post contract management. Identify when corrective action is needed. Requires assistance to negotiate improvements/deviations. Has a sound knowledge of the basics of contract law, and understands when to seek advice from other sources. Demonstrates strict adherence to KA delegation of authority process and procedures.
Project Management Skills: Demonstrates understanding of project management, Self manages their own responsibilities and processes well to accomplish full completion of project on time. Documentation is well kept and stored correctly. Escalates as needed to ensure the project deliverables are achieved on time.
Risk Management: Awareness of risk management. Able to identify companies which are at risk. Able to analyse information and propose actions/mitigation plans.
Supplier Relationship Management - (SRM): Understanding the concept and benefits of Supplier Relationship Management. Create and maintain a network of external relationships. Ability to facilitate supplier workshops supported by internal stakeholders. Professional communication skills and cross cultural awareness.
Cost Management: Solid knowledge of cost drivers: Secure the level of information required to evaluate the cost drivers. Analyse the information and where applicable, draw conclusion and make recommendation, and/or use the information in the negotiation.