New Opportunity for a Sr. Applications Engineer in Suffield, CT
Sr. Applications Engineer
This is a great opportunity within the Fluid Transfer Systems division of Kongsberg Automotive, reporting directly to the FTS North American Engineering Manager. The Sr. Applications Engineer develops products to suit customer demands in a manner that results in profitable sales growth. The incumbent in this role interacts with customers and the internal Kongsberg Automotive team, using existing products and materials to create a competitive and technical advantage. THis role is also responsible for the areas of material selection, physical routing, performance validation and project management. Acting as a support function for both the customer and Kongsberg manufacturing, the Sr. Applications Engineer ensures that the new component meets design requirements and at the same time allows for ease of manufacture. The AE will support the new application from concept through launch and will work with customers (both internal and external), suppliers, competitors and governmental legislative agencies. As a Senior position, the ideal candidate will also serve as a mentor and support for other applications engineers.
Areas of responsibility
- Responsible for developing and establishing layout and packaging models, CAD drawings for prototypes and serial production.
- Interact with the customers and the KA team (purchasing, manufacturing, QA and sales) to ensure solutions that are best for all.
- Ensure that the products meet all relevant specifications and are designed for processing and assembly under normal serial production conditions.
- Releasing the engineering BOM/part list and releasing of product drawings in accordance with ECN’s.
- Participate in the creation of the product DFMEA, DVP, Costings and more.
- Responsible for ensuring correctness of prototype builds and supporting production trials.
- Support in new product development and innovation activities.
- Support product technical meetings and design reviews.
- CAD interface with customers and suppliers.
- Participate in lessons learned meetings.
- Conduct technical benchmarks with (potential) competitors to ensure we maintain a technical advantage in the development and offering of new products.
- Contribute new development proposals based on customer interaction and application knowledge.
- Collaborate with Sales, R&D, and Operations to gather and act on customer and market demands.
- Manage own Projects through completion and report out progress on regular basis.
- Hold role as “Design responsible” in different projects and processes
- Use of DFMEA and different analyses/simulation models, calculation models and tools
- Contribute to standardized and rationalized work
- Analytical and solution oriented work style
- Direct customer contact and sales support when required
- BS in Mechanical Engineering (Materials Engineering will also be considered)
- 5-7 years work experience in similar Industrial, commercial vehicle, automotive, fluid transfer or tube/hose manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of 3-D design
- 5-7 years Project / Program Management experience
- Ability to travel (less than 10%)
- Proficient in Pro-E preferred (Other 3D software also considered)
- Experience using SAP PLM
- Basic knowledge of vehicular fluid systems (fuel, coolant, oil, brake) is a plus
- Experience with vehicle quality systems and processes (DFMEA, DFM, DVPR, etc.)
- Language: English - verbal and written